Chia Seeds, the Next Superfood?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I've been reading Born to Run (which I highly highly recommend!), and these amazing little nuggets keep popping up out of the book. I just want more, more, more, just like those running endorphins. I can't help but be mesmerized by the feats of Ann Trason, the mystery of the Tarahumara, and the discovery of chia seeds.

Ch ch ch chia! Yes, those same chia pets from the 80s will get you pretty darn close to a mega-loaded superfood. Let's not pretend that these are a "secret cure" to anything, but they are really packed with so many amazing things. Even WebMD says: "Enjoy chia seeds for their flavor and to boost the fiber, protein, calcium, antioxidants, and omega-3s in your diet. But don't expect a big weight loss boost." Obviously, I'm not a doctor, so don't take it from me. But even Dr. Oz has something to say about the teeny powerhouses. Because you know if Dr. Oz says it, then...

The Tarahumara, these seemingly superhuman long-distance runners in Mexico, use chia seeds as sort of our version of an energy gel. They mix the seeds with water and a little lemon juice and the mixture seems to give them an energy surge. The cool thing is, chia seeds hold water, which is a great benefit for the endurance athlete.

I don't normally eat fish, except for canned tuna, due to a taste aversion. I've always leaned on walnuts, flaxseed and Smart Butter for small hits of Omega 3s. This, to me, sounds like another good way to squeeze a few more vitamins in. I'm putting my order in!

This book is just fascinating. It makes me want to get up and run 100 miles every time I pick it up, because a 5k sounds really wimpy. I highly suggest you pick up a copy or rent it from the library.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!